Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Jaxen's First Grade Program

June 20th, 2013 Jaxen had his end of the year First Grade Program at his school. Other than his kindergarten graduation this was his first program in elementary school. We were really excited to see him perform. The theme of the program was Celebrating the U.S.A. so of course there were lots of patriotic songs and stories.
There is a lot of diversity at Jaxen's school and they honored that as well. Several of the students performed various dances from their family's native countries. From Africa(Rwanda I believe it was) to a nearby Native American Tribe(Pit River Tribe). It was really neat to see. I thought it was a special treat that the kids were the ones performing the dances.  
They also had a special fashion show for the kids to wear traditional clothing from different countries. Jaxen wasn't part of the fashion show but mainly for a couple of reasons. He never expressed to me that he wanted to be in it and I also figured that since we didn't have anything from Venezuela for him to wear that we'd opt out of it. I didn't think I'd have time to come up with something. It wasn't until the day of the show that Jaxen told me that he wanted to be in the show and that he wanted to wear this blue shirt because Daddy had said that it reminded him of some shirts that he and Abuelo used to wear in Venezuela. I think he was a little disappointed but he still said he had to wear this shirt! When we got there most of the kids were just dressed up in their best dress. I felt a little bad that I had misunderstood about the fashion show part of the program because he could have totally been a part it. But still everything turned out okay.
Jaxen didn't have any speaking parts but he was up there for all of the songs. I think it was a good thing that the kids each had a flag to wave while they were singing. Jaxen preferred to do that instead of singing. Which I think is perfectly okay. It made us smile to watch him. I was one proud momma!
Congratulations Jaxen on the fantastic job you and your classmates did! It was an amazing program and I loved every minute of it. I'm so proud of you and I look forward to coming to many more programs and seeing you shine! I love you!

No comments: